SMC Contract Wire EDM division specializes in low to medium/high volume precision EDM cutting of precision parts. Wire EDM is a very precise method of cutting electrically conductive materials with a very high degree of precision and with minimal or no tooling required.
Thin material can be stacked to yield hundreds of parts at one time making this a competitive alternative to costly stamping tooling.
- Test socket contacts
- Wire sizes 0.002"-0.012"
- Tolerances: tolerances as tight as 0.0002" can be held depending on material and part design.
- Materials from 0.001" to 10" thick
- Miniature and micro-miniature parts
- Wide variety of alloys, including precious metals (as long as they are conductive)
- Able to hold very tight tolerances
- High volume contacts to tight tolerances
- Minimal or no tooling charges
- Precious metals
- Excellent for pre-hardened materials
- Quick turnaround prototypes
Materials - We are experienced with a wide variety of materials and will work with customer supplied materials when needed. Thicknesses from 0.001"-10.0" thick.
We commonly run:
- Copper Alloys
- Stainless steel, austenitic and martensitic
- Exotics including platinum, gold, others
- Tool Steels
Supplementary Operations To offer the best possible lead times we have in-house capabilities to provide:
- Vibratory deburring
Our qualified vendor partners offer:
- Ultra-sonic cleaning
- Laser marking
Engineering We welcome the opportunity to assist our customers in product design. Our engineers will work with you to ensure maximum design for manufacturing and assembly (DFMA). Our engineers work with the following software:
- Espirit CAM
- Pro E
Assembly - We also offer a complete assembly department where your EDM components can be matched up with machined and/or injection molded parts from our other divisions or vendors to produce a sub-assembly ready for your installation.
Quality - Our quality system is ISO-9001 certified to ensure consistent production. As a supplier to numerous medical, defense and industrial equipment manufacturers we can supply whatever quality metrics required. Please link to our equipment list for a summary of our quality equipment.
Recycling - SMC Contract Manufacturing supports recycling efforts. All scrap is recycled. When using customer supplied material we will return scrap when negotiated in advance.